St. Michael Cathedral of Golden Domes

Light blue walls and golden domes of St. Michael Cathedral in Kiev attract visitors from all over the world.

Founded in 1108, a small one-domed church was named after the holy patron of Kiev – Saint Michael. As far as its dome was covered with gold, for the first time in Kiev, the church got the name of “Golden-domed”.

Archangel Michael is very respected in Ukraine. Roman Catholics, the Eastern Orthodox, Anglicans, and Lutherans refer to him as "Saint Michael the Archangel" and also as "Saint Michael". Orthodox Christians refer to him as the "Taxiarch Archangel Michael" or simply "Archangel Michael".

Seriously damaged and ravaged by the Golden Horde Army in XIII century, St. Michael Cathedral was rebuild during Cossacks times (XVIII century). New baroque- styled buildings appeared: bell tower, cells, refectory church of St. John the Evangelist etc.

Михайловский Златоверхий собор, Киев

 From its foundation till the years of 30 of XX century, the holy relics of Saint Barbara - an early Christian saint and martyr - were kept in the Cathedral.

In XIX century, St. Michael monastery was the second most important in Kiev, after Pechersk Lavra. There were: lodging for travelers, library, church school, sacristy etc. Thousands of pilgrims came to the monastery every year.

In 1936, due to a construction of administrative area for Soviet leaders, at the order of communist power, St. Michael Cathedral was blown up. 

At the turn of the centuryXX-XXI, Kiev city got its new-born Saint Michael Golden Domed Cathedral, which is an important religious center of today.

During Euromaidan events, the Cathedral gave support and housing for peaceful demonstrators violently dispersed by Yanukovich order. It was temporary transformed into a hospital, reporting unit, issuing point of products, warm clothes and medicaments. 

At the time of general sightseeing tour or walking tour in Kiev, you are welcome to see the beauty of St. Michael Cathedral. 

Колокольня Михайловского монастыря